No one likes to deal with a clogged drain. If you’ve had problems with your drains in the past, you might have made some mistakes that you should know about. We’ll go over how to prevent drain clogging in your home so you can avoid the issue.
Watch What You Throw Down the Drain
Some of the biggest contributors to drain clogs are oils and fats. Cooking oils should never go down your drain, as they can harden and build up inside over time. Materials like coffee grounds and large pieces of food should also go in your trash, not your drain.
Avoid Drain Clearing Fluid
Drain clearing fluid is something you can find at most large stores. While it may seem like a good idea to grab some just in case, you need to be careful when using it. Some drain clearing fluids can harm your piping system, especially if you use them too frequently. The damage they cause can lead to more clogs in the future. If you have serious trouble with a clog, you’re better off calling in a drain expert to clear it for you.
Protect Drains From Hair
Bathroom sinks and shower drains face the unique risk of hair clogs. If you want to prevent drain clogging in your home, consider using mesh inserts or covers over these drains to catch hair before it goes down into the pipes. Even small amounts of hair can get stuck and cause a serious drain problem.
Be Wary Of “Flushable” Wipes
Many people use sanitary wipes when they use the bathroom. The important thing to remember about these wipes is that just because they say “flushable,” doesn’t mean they’re good for your pipes. You can flush them, but unless they can break down like toilet papers, they’ll eventually clog your drains. This creates an extremely unpleasant problem.
Related Articles . . .
Differences Between Home and Commercial Composting
Are you curious about the differences between home and commercial composting? Explore how full-time farmers make use of this amazing organic recycling method.
5 Things That You Should Never Throw in the Garbage
There is a serious problem in our world that more of us need to take steps toward fixing. We only have so much space to put the world’s refuse, and anything we can do to reduce the amount of trash we produce is a good thing. Part of this endeavor is to know what items should never find their way into the garbage or a landfill. Here are five things that you should never throw in the garbage if you’d like to join the fight against our growing trash problem. Continue Reading. . .
We’re all guilty of it in our own unique ways. Whether it’s because they are sentimental, cost a lot of money, or we don’t like to declutter, a lot of our homes have more useless junk than we’d like to admit. You’re not alone if you have pack rat tendencies, but it can negatively affect…
3 Key Reasons You Should Take Up Hydroponics
Striving for a green thumb but still coming up short? Maybe it’s time to change up your gardening methods. If you’ve been using traditional gardening methods, then switching to something different may be your best bet. Rather than sticking with sub-par yields and tons of weeds, switch over to the world of hydroponics. Continue Reading
More Home Improvement Related Stories . . .
Read More Home Improvement Tips, Click here.
Common Causes of AC Refrigerant Leaks
• Stunning Home Exterior Remodeling Ideas
• Reasons Why your Asphalt Driveway is Cracking
• Top Reasons Why your House is Always Cold
• Where to Insulate Your Home
• Tips for Remodeling Your Garage
• Common Causes of Residential Flooding
• Save with Senior Home Modifications
• Household Problems You Should NEVER Fix Yourself
• Causes of Leaky Basements
HOME Ownership Tips:
How To Prevent Clogged Drains
• What to Consider When Building Your New Home
• Things to Do Before Selling Your Home
• Tips Every NEW Homeowner Should Know
• Home Maintenance Skills Everyone Should Know
• How to Get Your Home Ready For Winter
• 5 Big Home Maintenance Tasks You Should Do In the Spring
• Popular Types of Insulation Materials for Your Home
• How to Have a Smooth Move Out Day
Related Home Interior Stories:
• American Hardwoods Available for Doors & Floors
• Two Refreshing Ideas for Your Bedroom
• Convert Your Basement to a Rec Room
• Increase Storage Space in Your Home
• Small Ways to Make Your Bedroom More Cozy
• Easy Low Budget Home Decor Ideas
• How to Make Your New Home Feel Like Home
• Get a Head Start On Spring Cleaning
• Coolest Basement Ideas of All Time
• Affordable Home Improvement Ideas
• Common Aquarium Mistakes
• The Basics of Contemporary Interior Design
• Best Paint Colors for the Bathroom
• Simple DIY Projects to Improve the Value of Your Home
• Ways to De-Clutter & Decorate with Softness
• Ways To Add Personality to a Boring Room
• Different Types of Tiling For Your Home
• Tips For Your Home Theater
• Best Interior Renovations for Increasing Home Value
• Ways to Make Your Home Look Cleaner
• Creative Ways To Decorate Your Hallway
• Tips for Creating a Stress-Free Space
• Coolest Basement Ideas of All Time