Often, when house hunting, homes that contain basements can really draw a buyer. You may have many great ideas for how to utilize the space—an extra family room, a home gym, a guest living area for when the in-laws are in town. If you choose to make your lower level a place for entertainment, consider a few tips to convert your basement into a rec room to help you get started.
Choose a Theme
You’ll first want to choose a central theme, from a bar setup to a theater to a 50s diner. Knowing the direction you want to go will help you decide what materials and skills you’ll need to achieve your desired look and function.
Choose Your Lighting
Regardless of your recreation room’s theme, you will want to install a few different types of lighting. You’ll need sufficient lighting for everyday activities, but you’ll also want to be able to set the mood other times. Putting some of your fixtures on dimmer switches will allow you to decide how much illumination you want at any given time.
Choose Your Flooring
In creating a rec room, you have to imagine that you will entertain guests in this area, whether for parties or more leisurely events like movie showings. Either way, it’s best to install solid surface flooring, such as hardwood, laminate, or vinyl. This type of flooring will allow you to clean up potential spills with ease, fix slight damages, deter the gathering of microbes, and go with many possible looks or themes.
Explore different flooring options based on potential moisture, temperature, and sound within the space. Hardwood is easy to clean, can hold heat, and has a classic look that will match many themes. On the other hand, laminate and vinyl retain less heat but do have some moisture-resistant properties.
With a few tips to convert your basement into a rec room, you’ll be on your way to creating a fun space in your home to hang out or entertain. As we continue to stay home at this time, it may be the perfect opportunity to put some work into making your own space for fun while maintaining safety and distance from the public.
Create a Custom Shower Oasis to Last a Lifetime
Bring your vision to life, discover your ultimate shower design aesthetic or create your own with American Standard’s experts. There is a lifetime warranty. Click here to see photos of Modern Farmhouse, Rustic, French Country, Contemporary, Minimalist, and Traditional styles. You can trust American Standards 150 years of bath and shower expertise. With just three easy steps, you can get a quote from the comfort of your home online. Continue Reading. . .
Related Home Interior Stories:
• Create Your Dream Bathroom Online
• Convert Your Basement to a Rec Room
• Increase Storage Space in Your Home
• Affordable Home Improvement Ideas
• Common Aquarium Mistakes
• The Basics of Contemporary Interior Design
• Best Paint Colors for the Bathroom
• Simple DIY Projects to Improve the Value of Your Home
• Ways to De-Clutter & Decorate with Softness
• Ways To Add Personality to a Boring Room
• Different Types of Tiling For Your Home
• Tips For Your Home Theater
• Best Interior Renovations for Increasing Home Value
• Ways to Make Your Home Look Cleaner
• Creative Ways To Decorate Your Hallway
• Tips for Creating a Stress-Free Space
• Get A Head Start on Spring Cleaning
• Coolest Basement Ideas of All Time
Read More Home Improvement Tips, Click here.
• Stunning Home Exterior Remodeling Ideas
• Home Maintenance Skills Everyone Should Know
• Reasons Why your Asphalt Driveway is Cracking
• Top Reasons Why your House is Always Cold
• How to Get Your Home Ready For Winter
• Where to Insulate Your Home
• Things to Do Before Selling Your Home
• Tips for Remodeling Your Garage
• Common Causes of Residential Flooding
• Save with Senior Home Modifications
• Household Problems You Should NEVER Fix Yourself
• 5 Big Home Maintenance Tasks You Should Do In the Spring
• What to Consider When Building Your New Home
• Causes of Leaky Basements
• Basic Components of Building a Home