**** Recommended **** “Little by Little”, an encore production at Hammond’s Towle Theater, is a charming little show about three people, two girls and a guy, who ruin a lifelong friendship with sex! Technically, “Little by Little” is an operetta, since it doesn’t have any dialog, but don’t let that scare you away. The charming lyrics are written with a sense of humor. Don’t miss this must-see. 4 Spotlights (Photo by Wesley Bushby)
The three characters don’t have names, they are just Woman 1 (Sarah Sapperstein), Woman 2 (Tamara Bodnar, and Man (Brandon Michaud), singing about “Friendship and Love”. The connections: Woman 1 + Woman 2; Woman 1 + Woman 2 + Man; Woman 1 + Man; and finally Woman 2 + Man.
• As kids, they lazing around, pouting because they’re bored, singing about “Homework” and ‘Tag”
• As they grow up, there’s a kindling of interest in the opposite sex. At a movie, Man sings “Popcorn”, which is all about the temptations at the movies
• Her friends put poor Woman 2 in the middle their relationship as they both had her a phone and ask for advice in “Just Between Us”
• They’re grown up now, and starting real jobs in “A Little Hustle”
• Woman 2 loses her cool and opts out of the friendship with “I’m Not”
• After the couple breaks up, all three accidentally meet at the movies with “Popcorn II”
Kudos to Director Jeff Casey and Resident Musical Director, Elizabeth Tuazon on a delightful production.
“Little by Little” runs through May 20th at the Towle Theater, 5205 Hohman Avenue, Hammond. Parking is free in the lot behind the theater. Running time is 90 minutes, no intermission. Performances are Friday and Saturday at 8:00 pm; Sunday at 2:00 pm. Tickets are $19. FYI (219) 937-8780 or www.towletheater.org.
Read all of Carol Moore’s reviews at www.spotlightonlake.com.