By Jodi Barnett,
In our earlier post we wrote about the ways your body receives and removes toxins. (Click HERE) Now we’re going to “dig in” to some of the body systems that remove toxins and waste from the body naturally.
- Lymphatics: According to Steven H. Horne, RH (AHG) ” your lymph system is like a tissue cleansing river. All the bodies’ cells are bathed in lymphatic fluid, which constitutes the internal environment of the body. Fresh, clean, nutrient laden lymphatic fluid enters the tissues from the bloodstream thru blood capillaries. Then your cells absorb oxygen & nutrients from the fluid & secrete waste back into it.
- Some of this lymph fluid is drawn back into the blood carrying carbon dioxide, acid & other waste products to be filtered out by the lungs & kidneys. The rest is drawn into lymphatic capillaries where it is taken to lymph nodes that act like tiny sewage treatment plants. There white blood cells gobble up debris while other mechanisms purify the lymph. The lymph ducts then empty into the circulatory system at the base of the neck near the thyroid gland, where iodine from that gland can further treat this fluid to purify it. Keeping the lymph moving is essential to keeping the tissues clean, must be considered in any cleansing program. Beyond the lymph there are 4 main organs that work together to disarm toxins & eliminate harmful waste products.
- The 1st channel of elimination that slows down is the “colon” In his book “food is your Best Medicine, Dr. Henry G. Bieler talks about how toxins in your colon eventually produce symptoms of disease in other parts of your body, He calls the lining of the digestive tract your 1st line of immune defense. The mucous membranes that line your intestines are not only designed to absorb nutrients, but also reject toxic stuff and waste. They are like a selective filter. He also suggests that when these membranes are overloaded with toxic material, they become irritated & inflamed. No longer able to process & absorb nutrients correctly. Giving rise to colitis and other inflammatory bowel disorders, including Crohn’s disease, celiac disease and ulcerative colitis. All of these involve a breakdown of the intestinal mucosa due to inflammatory processes. Inflammation & swelling in your intestines also lead to increased absorption of toxic materials into the blood & lymph a condition called leaky gut syndrome; this then creates a cascade of negative reactions that adversely affect every system in the body.
According to Steven H Horne RH (AGH), the liver is the back up system to the intestines. All of the blood coming out of your intestinal tract passes thru the liver before being carried to other parts of the body. Just as your intestines are the primary external organ of elimination (meaning the primary way toxins are pushed out of the body); the liver is the most important internal organ of detoxification. It’s primary job is to neutralize bad guys that get into your system.
So when the 1st line of defense (intestines) have been compromised, the liver is the backup quarter back to take the job and run with it. It harbors hundreds of enzyme systems that break down the bad guys and is able to process the needed nutrients. The lifestyle many of us lead really makes the job of the liver a real tough one! You know when your liver is really struggling it will give birth to common symptoms:
- frequent headaches,
- skin problems (like eczema, and acne)
- weight gain,
- cholesterol issues,
- thyroid problems,
- Ladies: the dreaded PMS and hard menopausal symptoms
- So moving on the 3rd line of defense according to Steven H. Horne, would be the kidneys.
So when the intestinal, and liver miss or slow down on the job, the kidneys now get the excess load of trash delivered to them for disposal.
So when the urinary passages are overwhelmed with irritants, they also become inflamed; this can cause burning when urination takes place, irritable bladder (can’t hold it), frequent kidney & bladder infections. Skin issues, swollen lymph nodes, retaining fluid (swelling), and reproductive problems.
Ladies if your monthly cycles give you grief, it could be because you have over worked kidneys, over burdened liver, and leaky gut issues…
Many of my clients are very acidic in their pH nature, which is one of the key waste issues the kidney’s must deal with. So when they are weak, and overworked with needing to filter other toxins because defense systems #`1 and #2 are overburdened, they cannot handle the higher acidic load so the body then begins to take from body reserves magnesium and potassium which it robs from bones and muscles (can we say muscle cramps usually middle of the night, and osteoporosis) to put out the systemic fire.
This increases the muscle tension, headaches, back pain, leg pain, arthritis. Then factor in kidney stones (which are very popular these days not to mention painful) because the body is purging calcium to reduce acid build up in the body it can add to calcification of tissues.Next: you need to love the SKIN your in!
Your largest elimination organ is the “Skin”. It is the last ditch effort for elimination processes. It offers assistance in a couple of ways:
- You sweat, when we sweat if there are too many water soluble bad guys in the blood the body can wash them out thru the skin when we sweat. Many times this happens when we produce a fever to force the sweat glands to open up and increase elimination thru the skin. Sometimes I encourage clients to create a false fever with epsom salt/ginger baths, and encourage using Far infrared saunas. If your kidneys show signs of weakness this helps a great deal to take some of the overload off of them.
- The oil in the skin which keeps our skin soft, this is produced thru oil ducts and can be used as another elimination method for toxins that are fat soluble. Normally the liver processes these and turns them into water solubles and the kidneys flush them out. So if your liver is congested the body will call upon the skin to do the duty. So acne, blackheads, pimples, boils usually appear when toxins have been forced from the liver/kidney’s towards next elimination channel (the largest) the skin.. Fat soluble toxins that are trapped in the fatty layer under the skin can make you itch and produce a rash.
- So when something such as that appears on the skin you can really be confident a good place to start cleaning is your colon, liver & kidney’s, simply applying something topically on the skin is only a temporary solution to a deeper issue. The SYMPTOM is an indicator that the foundation is in need of repair.
THERE ARE NUTRIENTS THAT CAN HELP YOU DETOX YOUR BODY and TARGETED CLEANSING THAT CAN IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH. If you would like to learn more about your body and how you can begin to incorporate natural methods with the goal of getting cleaner on the inside and experiencing more energy, better sleep and hopefully a longer more fulfilled life.
If you would like to learn more about your body and how you can begin to incorporate natural methods with the goal of getting cleaner on the inside and experiencing more energy, better sleep and hopefully a longer more fulfilled life, then please take a moment and subscribe to my blog at www.jodibarnett758.com.
ABOUT JODI BARNETT:
Jodi is the owner operator of Harvest health, a Doctor of Naturopathy, Natural Health Consulting, QFA Body Assessments, located at 15233 Hawthorne Ct, Cedar Lake, IN 46303. Her phone number is (219) 713.4789. Jodi can be reached by emailing email@example.com or visiting her website at www.jodibarnett758.com
Other Health Related STORIES. . .
Every person you meet is most likely to use at least one skin care product regularly. This makes the skincare industry a billion-dollar industry in the United States. Who wouldn’t want clear, healthy skin? Through time, skin care products have evolved and advanced, and consumers really have a lot to choose from, but having healthy skin starts…
Have you ever wondered how laws determine what companies can and can’t add into consumable goods? Learn the difference between an additive and an adulterant.
During the Pandemic, the safest thing to do is visit an outdoor facility. Northwest Indiana has lots of OUTDOOR Places to visit. Now is a great time to discover a new adventure. Here’s Some Recreation Opportunities in Northwest Indiana. Hiking at Luhr Park – LaPorte Indiana by Andie Renner-Miller A Hidden Gem – Luhr Park, La… Continue Reading →